On 21 September 2012 13:19, Godfrey DiGiorgi <gdigio...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 9:08 AM, Miserere <miser...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That Sony 16MP *is* a great sensor. Makes me wonder why 12,500 is the
>> maximum ISO for the X2; the K-5 handled 25,600 rather well, and it was
>> an earlier iteration of the sensor.
>
> I suspect that Leica sets the max ISO to be what they consider passes
> their quality requirements. I've seen K-5 results at 25600; they seem
> noisier than is useful.
>
> Same reason that Leica is showing the new M sensor with a max ISO at
> 6400, I bet. They want max ISO to be completely useable. I've never
> found max ISO to actually be useable except on rare occasion with any
> of my previous cameras.

The K-5's max ISO is 51,600, and is useless unless you see a flying
saucer landing, but I'd use 25,600 in a pinch (but remember that I do
B&W street photography, so my demands are probably lower than yours).
However, the K10D had a max ISO of 1600 which was very usable, even in
colour. I never understood why they didn't implement ISO 3200.

I think Leica is being too conservative with ISO...but then that's how
Leica is--conservative  :-)

   —M.

    \/\/o/\/\ --> http://WorldOfMiserere.com

    http://EnticingTheLight.com