I love the shot.

Can't help specifically with the system glitch, but I wonder if
there's any chance the flash was the problem. The camera might be
waiting for signals from the P-TTL logic. Sometimes it helps the
wireless stuff if you add a reflector of some sort (eg tinfoil) to the
popup head to get more light over at the remote 540. I have even had
success holding my hand at an angle near the popup.

Honestly, I've just switched to using cheap radio triggers for remote
flash. All my random flash failures went away.

--
-bmw