On Sep 24, 2012, at 11:31 AM, Christine Nielsen wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Bruce Walker <bruce.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I love the shot.
>>

> Thanks, Bruce!
>
>> Can't help specifically with the system glitch, but I wonder if
>> there's any chance the flash was the problem.
>
> Yes, I was thinking along those lines, too...  I usually just use the
> flash off-camera indoors, and I've never had an issue with the
> wireless firing.  Outside, in the middle of the track,  though, found
> I didn't have much range - couldn't get too far from the light stand &
> still get the flash to fire.  I wonder if the reflect-y silver lining
> of the softbox gets in the way of the flash/camera communication...?
>
> And I did think maybe I should try some radio triggers... what kind
> did you get?  Whenever I start to think about getting some, I first
> reason that I can rule out Pocket Wizards... But then, how cheap do
> you go?  I've considered the Paul C Buff triggers... but maybe ebay
> triggers are just fine...?

I've got some of the cheap chinese radio triggers, about $10 for each
transmitter or receiver.  And they work OK, as long as the transmitter and
receiver are within a few feet of each other and there is nothing (like a
strobe body) between them.  I get a fair number of missed triggers with them
anyways, but for studio work it's not like you're blowing a dollar's worth of
film/processing.  Note:  do not use fancy rechargeable batteries in the
receivers, they run at a lower voltage than regular AAA batteries, and don't
have nearly the sensitivity.

Paul C Buff makes some great gear, and for reasonable prices for what you get.

I recently acquired some old, simple pocket wizards.  All they do is trigger,
no control over flash intensity or anything.  They seem to work a lot better
than the cheap chinese ones.

In short,  for $20 or so, the cheap ones will more or less do the job most of
the time, but you'll learn to love radio triggers and will eventually want to
upgrade.  If you don't mind spending $20 (or a bit more if you get spares, a
trigger for your second body etc.) on something that you'll eventually just set
aside as a spare, and don't mind the occasional (1 in 8 or 10) shot where the
flash doesn't fire, they are a great deal.