> From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
> Walt
>
> I'll be sure to keep in mind the keyword stuff. But, sadly, I'm just
> horrible about doing stuff like that -- it's a procrastination thing, I
> guess.
>
> Thankfully, I don't have many older photos, so it won't be a huge deal
> -- at least until I put off adding keywords to my newer images for so
> long that it gets to be too much of an ordeal to mess with. ;)

If you do the basic keywords (who, what, where, why) at the time you import
the pictures you can avoid the procrastination problem. The keyword entry
box is on the right hand panel of the import dialog.

Keywords are more helpful and more flexible than deriving a folder
structure, and it doesn't take any longer to use them. For example, if your
folder structure is say \Holidays\Paris\Cafe de Rostand\Fifi\, just enter
the keywords holidays, paris, Café de Rostand and fifi instead (I would make
café a separate keyword).

You're liberated from the tyranny of the fixed structure, and the problem of
what to do with something that belongs in more than one folder, For example
if Fifi also belongs in Family\Nieces\Pretend\ and in Mistresses\No longer\
you just include as keywords family, nieces, etc. You can search on any
equal or proper subset of the keywords, in any order, rather than having to
find your way through all the levels of a folder structure that you will
lose track of.

You can put keywords themselves in hierarchies if you want, although I
stopped doing that a long time ago. For example, Europe > France > Paris,
Europe > France > Lyon, Europe > Germany > Neuschwanstein. If you then
keyword something as Neuschwanstein it will turn up in searches for Europe,
without you having to put Europe as a keyword against the picture, and any
search for France will include both Paris and Lyon.

The problem, for me, is maintaining the hierarchies and also making sure
that what you are doing is a real, genuine, hierarchy, and that's not always
obvious until it's too late. A keyword can belong to more than one
hierarchy, I think, so it's slightly better than a folder structure in
(most) hierarchical file systems.