If you stare at an iMac or possibly Apple monitor fro long, you will go blind.
It is

 bright. The problem lies in trying to match what you see to what you print. If
you adjust an image to your liking with all that brightness, you end up with
dark prints. Really dark prints. In my scatterbrained experience.

If the brightness is turned down "scientifically" keeping the color values the
same relative to each other, you will be lightening the image to please. In
100% brightness, it would look too bright and you'd cut the exposure. Wrong
thing to do. That's where Dark Adapted comes in. It lets you control multiple
monitors, each calibrated to the same values, by dimming then together, or not,
and attempting (some say poorly, but not me) to keep the same values for your
color spectrum.

All I know for sure is 1. I love the monitor dimmed with no brilliant white
blasting you in the face when you are not working images. 2. Whenever you
change the monitor brightness, ganged or separately, a little grey block opens
in the center of your screen with a red, green and blue dot, i … to just remind
you that everything is ok, "I'm doing a good job for you."

Others on this list are way more into this, and may have different opinions, or
different software, or hate Apple. I frankly have an older ColorVision
Datacolor probe 2 ? that won't do two monitors. But all this touching on the
subject pressured me into buying a new model 4 Pro yesterday, just as the
chatter about AstroTracking forced me to buy a new Pentax GPS-1 unit the day
before. Gotta lay off the PDML for a while and let the cards rest until I get
settled into my new digs and play with my new toys.

Good Luck - over and out…