After photographing a corporate event yesterday up in SF, I went to a weekly
swing dance where one of the local bands plays. Stompy Jones plays "jump swing"
and have been around for over 15 years.  They had Cleveland come up and sing a
couple of songs with them.  In this shot, he's letting Hank have his guitar
solo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/8051402389/

For me, the high point of the evening was when Pops (Peter Walsh, formerly with
Commander Cody), who was their original vocalist came up and sang a couple of
songs with them.  A few years back, Pops became very sick with something that I
don't know if they ever diagnosed, and we were wondering if he was even going
to make it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/8051392121/

All of this set were shot with the Tokina 80-200/2.8.  Mostly at f/4.  The
stage lighting was rather challenging, not enough variation in the color to get
really good vibrant colors, but a bit too saturated to correct it quite back to
normal.  Photographing musicians, bobbing around to fast music is very
challenging with a manual focus telephoto.  I don't know how, even in manual
focus, I get so many photos perfectly focused on the microphone, rather than
the musician behind it. I couldn't help but wonder what my keeper ratio would
be like with a K5II and a 60-250.  Or for that matter high end Canikon gear.
I'm coming to the conclusion that the difference that better gear makes isn't
how good of shots you get, but how many shots you lose.

For them that want to check out the whole set, I think I got a few other
keepers too.
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157631685232499/