On 10/10/2012 4:10 PM, Bob Sullivan wrote:
Bill,

I've heard this talk before, but you must be careful.
I bought some canned cleaner stuff at Fry's Electronics.
It was called Air Duster (by Memorex, I think) and I was cautious.

It said,
"Excellent for Cleaning:
Computers,
Office Equipment
Photo/Video Equipment
and Electronics"

I tested on a surface and found residue was left behind.
I read further under Caution:...
Chemical contact with flames or very hot surfaces can cause
vapor decomposition and toxic gases.  This product is not defined
as flammable by 1500.3 (c)... However, this product can be ignited
under certain circumstances. Do not use near potential ignition
sources, hot surfaces, or spark-producing equipment.

So the next time I had the outdoor gas barbecue grill fired up, I gave
it a test.
I figured I might blow away some of the accumulated crud.
Wow, I got a huge fireball covering half the grill.
So much for 'not defined as flammable'.

So you might use caution using 'dust off' on your camera gear.

Dust Off is a brand name, not a generic term.

Test it first!

Read the MSDS. There are something like 3 different chemical compounds being used for canned gas, though I think most of them are diflouroethane.

http://mfc.engr.arizona.edu/safety/MSDS%20FOLDER/Memorex%20Air%20Duster%20MSDS.pdf

 http://www.sisweb.com/referenc/msds/dustoff.pdf

What differs between Dust-Off and the others, I suspect, is the level of purity.

--

William Robb