I agree. In this town we are fast losing our older.buildings (many of which
have so much character) to the wrecking ball so ugly fifty floor condos can go
up.

These new buildings are so cheaply built that a local study estimates that the
average life expectancy for these atrocities is 25-40 years. That means some
condo owners will have their building fall down before they're done paying
their mortgage.

One building has been shedding its plate glass windows during windstorms
causing the closure of a major downtown street and a multi-million dollar
refit. Luckily no pedestrians or passing motorists were injured by the falling
glass.

But I digress; this is about historic designations.

I'm in favour but the counterpoint is that once your building is so designated
its value plummets. One is restricted in what renovations are permitted and
because any renovations must be in keeping with the original
architecture/design permitted renos are very expensive. Unfortunately these
buildings end up being white elephants. Everyone loves them, no one wants to
buy them.

Cheers,
frank

"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." --
Christopher Hitchens