On 10/11/2012 01:58, steve harley wrote:
on 2012-10-10 15:11 Ann Sanfedele wrote
so for me personally it is much more than simply keeping the whole
neighborhood
from being overrun with luxury highrises and college dorms and well
keep my  building from going co-op or being demolished.

i understand your perspective, and suspected you had an interest in the
non-preservation side-effects; would you feel as strongly if you didn't
have rent control?

steve, I'd stay here by choice if I won the lottery...
I'd never want to live anywhere else and hope I'll never be asked to for any reason.

I've lived here since 1968 - it's home and I feel as strongly about it
as if it were a house I'd built. The neighborhood is Cheers without the booze.

But yes, very close (2 blocks away) another high-rise is going up across from Cooper Union... and then there is the NYU expansion.

Ditto what Frank wrote about Toronto, btw - I'm watching how fast the
high rise is going up at Astor Place as I pretty much pass there everyday.

here, landmarking of several hundred mostly single-family homes has has
done nothing to stop (and i would argue has partly caused)
gentrification, sharply rising rents, and a trend toward undesirable
development immediately adjacent to the landmark district; it will also
make it harder for this neighborhood to reach efficient urban density

"Efficient urban density" sounds chillingly Orwellian to me.

ann