> I've read that it's frustrating. Is it more trouble than its worth?

The X100 is a curate's egg. It's very well made and solid, the optical
quality is very good, and its viewfinder is superb. I keep it set up in
silent mode, with all the frills switched off and like this it is a very
good, fast, usable camera for the sort of street shooting I bought it for.
However, in this mode you can't focus it manually, which is rather annoying.

The other thing that annoys me about it is that it's easy to disturb some of
the buttons and dials, particularly the exposure compensation dial, without
realising.

The user interface is extremely confusing. In the auto modes I have no idea
what's going on, so I don't bother with them. Someone with a bit more
patience might understand them better than I do.

Hope this helps.
Bob