On Oct 22, 2012, at 3:16 PM, Anthony Farr wrote:

> On 22 October 2012 14:30, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
>> 1) Taking photos from a moving pony cart can be challenging.  Not so much
>> for camera motion blur, which can be compensated for by a fast shutter speed
>> combined with shake reduction, but because the bouncing up and down makes it
>> very challenging to compose a shot.
>>
>> 2) This is exacerbated when the sound of the 18-250 focusing sounds to the
>> horse like the noise that means "go faster".
>>
>> 3) Taking photos of a hawk flying overhead from a moving pony cart is nearly
>> impossible.
>>
>> 4) Taking photos of said hawk, when standing on the ground with the 18-250
>> works a lot better with manual focus and a split prism focusing screen than
>> it does with auto focus.
>>
>> --
>> Larry Colen l...@red4est.com sent from i4est
>>

> How autofocus works with sport, action, wildlife, etc:
>
> "Oh, you want to take a shot right now, do you?  Just give me a second
> or two while I check my full range of focus, just in case there's a
> point where things are sharper.  Wait, I'll check again, you can never
> be too sure, can you?  There, I bet that shot of empty blue sky is
> sharper than anything Canon could've made."

Peeve:  Autofocus circuitry doesn't return the focus distance to the camera.
If you can read it off the focus ring, why can't you read it off the motor
position?

This situation does give me an idea for a handy use of the fx button:  Only
search for focus within the current range.   If I'm trying to focus on
something at 0.8 of the hyperfocal distance, the next time I press the shutter
don't bring the camera in to minimum focus.   If I'm using my macro to focus on
something six inches away, don't give me perfect focus on the fence twenty feet
back.