On 28/10/2012 1:50 PM, Larry Colen wrote:

On Oct 28, 2012, at 12:48 PM, David Parsons wrote:

So, you'd have sensor based IS trying to keep the sensor stable during
an exposure, and at the same time, moving the sensor to introduce AA?

What does 'mechanical AA do that the optical method doesn't do?  What
would be the advantage of it?

The advantage is that most of the time you leave it off.  But, if you have
something like the K5-IIs, without optical AA, and you are photographing
something with a pattern, like fabric, you could turn it on.

And I'd implement it as an either/or with image stabilization, not a both at
the same time.

Seems to me if the sensor moves in relation to the projected image during the exposure, you are going to just get a blurred image. This isn't quite what an AA filter does.

--

William Robb