On Oct 28, 2012, at 3:26 PM, William Robb wrote:

> On 28/10/2012 1:50 PM, Larry Colen wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 28, 2012, at 12:48 PM, David Parsons wrote:
>>
>>> So, you'd have sensor based IS trying to keep the sensor stable during
>>> an exposure, and at the same time, moving the sensor to introduce AA?
>>>
>>> What does 'mechanical AA do that the optical method doesn't do?  What
>>> would be the advantage of it?
>>
>> The advantage is that most of the time you leave it off.  But, if you have
>> something like the K5-IIs, without optical AA, and you are photographing
>> something with a pattern, like fabric, you could turn it on.
>>
>> And I'd implement it as an either/or with image stabilization, not a both at
>> the same time.
>
> Seems to me if the sensor moves in relation to the projected image during the
> exposure, you are going to just get a blurred image. This isn't quite what an
> AA filter does.

I thought that what an AA filter did was specifically to blur the image on the
order of a pixel width so that no transition was narrower than a pixel. I.e.
acting as a low pass filter to ensure that there are no patterns of a higher
frequency than the sampling rate.

The trick would be to only blur the image on the order of a pixel.