Darren,

That term has been in use for many years now, - I think since at least
the first "raw" format images were produced by the digital cameras.

The word "negative" lost its original "negative" (i.e. the one that has
polarity opposite to the print) meaning, and means any source
(including a file) from which you can do printing.
It also has a connotation of the "original" file that cannot be changed
(e.g. for forensic/legal purposes) and can be accepted as a legal proof
(hence the DNG format - digital negative).

Some words lost their original meaning and a new live in the digital
world... BTW, "file" - is one of those words.

Cheers,

Igor

Mon Oct 29 11:13:03 EDT 2012