Sorry for starting a new thread.

I just wanted to share the fact that I came across.
It is referenced e.g. in this Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Negative

Quote:

Digital image preservation (sometimes known as "archiving"): to be
suitable for the purpose of preserving digital images as an authentic
resource for future generations.[19] Assessment: The US Library of
Congress states that DNG is a recommended alternative to other raw image
formats: "Less desirable file formats: RAW; Suggested alternatives:
DNG".[20] The Digital Photography Best Practices and Workflow
(dpBestflow) project, funded by the United States Library of Congress
and run by the American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP), singles
out DNG, and states "DNG files have proven to be significantly more
useful than the proprietary raw files in our workflow".[21]

See that article for the links/references.

This is pretty much what several PDMLers said in another long thread
for more specific PEF vs DNG comparison.

Igor