First, I'd like to say that I think that is a very powerful photograph.

I puzzled for a while over Frank's question of exploitation and then
puzzled a while longer on whether the question of whether something
was exploitation could ever be properly judged by oneself, or others,
or a poll. I decided that it comes down to the photographer's motive
and that was something that no one else would be in a position to
properly judge. I decided that it is good (commendable) to question
oneself (as Frank seems to have done here), but I also decided that
the answer can only come from one's own conscience and not from that
of others.

As photographers, we have choices to make constantly: from what
subjects we photograph (and which we ignore) to which of our images we
deem "good", to which images we deem worth of showing others as
representative of what we have captured and/or created. What we don't
have control over is how those images are going to be interpreted or
received by the viewer.

A couple of threads that you may find thought-provoking on the subject:
(possibly disturbing images warning)
http://www.dphotographer.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4004&f=17
http://morningmedia.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/questioning-photojournalism-how-true-is-truth/