On 01/11/2012 8:49 PM, Tom C wrote:

One of these days I'll sort through the reams of transparencies boxed
away and find out. Am I better or am I simply changed?

You've been democratized. One of the advantages us darkroom guys had over hand it over to the lab for a picture guys was that we had the ability to make better pictures. Dodging and burning was something that any decent custom lab would do, but would they use VC paper and dodge or burn with a different contrast filter? Would they do a burn in on a colour print with a slightly altered filter pack? Digital has opened up to everyone the world of image manipulation, and has given us tools that film photographers didn't dream possible.

One of these days, I need to go through the Kodachromes I shot the time we hooked up in New Denver. I still haven't looked at the darned things, and I lent out my X-Ray viewer to someone, and I don't recall who.

--

William Robb