on 2012-11-18 19:19 Mark Roberts wrote
Tim Bray wrote:

For years, I’ve been sizing the “large” versions of the pictures on my
blog to 1024(max) x 720(max).  This last week I got my hands on a
Nexus 10 (2560x1600) and they look sort of small and dingy.    I
haven’t had any quality time with an Apple Retina display, but I bet
the same issues arise.

This is going to require some study, and I bet my site’s pages are all
going to have to become more complex.  -T

I've been having the same kind of thoughts.
JavaScript display size sniffing and multiple versions of each image?
The thought makes my skin crawl...

i haven't dealt with it directly myself, but i've done a bit of reading on the subject and the default answer is to do a media query in your CSS; i assume (at some risk) this also works with Nexus 10 browsers

this is one of the better articles i've read (though one could spend hours scouring for more thoughts):

<http://benfrain.com/how-to-serve-high-resolution-website-images-for-retina-displays-new-ipadiphone4/>

(don't ignore the "Jobsis observation" toward the end)

and this is pretty good too:

<http://coding.smashingmagazine.com/2012/08/20/towards-retina-web/>

having a good CMS makes it a lot easier to adapt (i doubt this is news to Tim, though i know he rolls his own CMS so i can't say how hard it will be for him); on Drupal sites it's already typical for the server auto generate multiple sizes of an image when uploaded (thumbnail, body-width, full-res, etc.) so it's not too hard to add another size to this