Since I'm a diver, I bought a reefmaster.  Not a bad little camera for that
purpose and for the price.  To get good shots, however, you need the large flash
or strobe.  The small built in flash is of very little use under water.  A
close-up lens is also useful.

Dan

Christian Skofteland wrote:

> After I bought my LX I looked around for underwater housings for it.  Just
> out of curiosity you know, because I dive and I thought it would be fun.
>
> Ikelite:  Great company if you own a Canon or Nikon AF camera.  For anything
> Manual focus they have to custom build it.  so you're talking US$1500.00 at
> the time I was making inquiries.
>
> There was another company (sorry the name escapes me) that makes a "stock"
> housing for the LX but only sells it in Japan.  The sales rep assured me he
> could get it for me but it was going to cost US$2500.00.  That would be um,
> 5 TIMES the cost of the LX.  Oh yeah, then you need at least one strobe...
> and did I mention that the housing cost did not include the cost of the lens
> port?  Add a dome and flat port for probably another thousand bucks....
>
> Underwater photography is EXPENSIVE.
>
> If you are just going snorkeling, get the Kodak waterproof disposable.  The
> results aren't too bad.  Or if you want to spend over $100 get a reefmaster.
>
> The "Ziploc" bag approach is done by EWA-MARINE:
> http://www.ewa-marine.de/English/e-start-photo.htm
>
> Would you trust a sandwich bag to protect your valuable camera gear?  I'd
> think twice about it.....
>
> Christian

Daniel J. Matyola                  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stanley, Powers & Matyola          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Suite203, 1170 US Highway 22 East  http://danmatyola.com
Bridgewater, NJ 08807              (908)725-3322  fax: (908)707-0399