> From: "P. J. Alling" <webstertwenty...@gmail.com>
>
> DxOMark gives sensor in the D800E with an overall rating of 96 for
> quality, and the Pentax 645D an 82. The Nikon has an effective EV range
> of over 14 stops the Pentax about 12.  The Nikon has a 36.3mp sensor
> with linear values of 7360x4912, which gives a 300dpi print size without
> undue manipulation of 24 1/2" x 16 1/3".  The 645D has a 40mp sensor
> with linear values of 7264x5440, which gives a 300dpi print size of
> roughly 24 1/5" x 18 1/10".  Now the actual sensor size of the Nikon is
> 35.9mm  x 24mm, and the Pentax is 44mm x 33mm so given that both
> manufactures decided to give 100% viewfinder coverage with say 90%
> magnification the Pentax would win out, but since neither manufacture
> decided to do that and I haven't actually been able to look through
> either finder, but only go by written specifications* I can't say which
> finder is better, at the cost differential, if I needed the resolution,
> I'd have to buy the Nikon.  Especially as I'm starting from zero with
> both systems.
>
> Based on this it's evident that Pentax must upgrade the 645D to stay
> competitive, but that said the same is true of any maker of medium
> format backs for existing systems.  The only advantage Pentax has here
> is that the whole 645D camera body usually costs less than a back for
> another system.  Pentax's other disadvantages are it's lack of lenses,
> only two currently in production, and the fact that it was designed to
> medium format requirements, where as the Nikon is a general purpose
> camera, designed to near sports photography requirements, that delivers
> medium format image quality.
>
> *Based on those specifications of 100% coverage with 70% magnification
> for the Nikon and 95% coverage and 65% magnification for the Pentax, I'd
> say it's a wash anyway, once again given that I've never actually been
> able to look through either.

The price difference is roughly $5700 ($6000 if the non-E D800). One
could have 2 D800's and almost $2800 left over for lenses or 1 D800
and $5800 left over for lenses, or a new computer to process the
images, or photography vehicle, or X months mortgage payments.

Not, to beat 'a dead horse until it's nothing but a smoking crater
where a greasy spot used to be', as Larry so eloquently put it.

By the time the 645D was released many medium format shooters were
already moving from film to high-end Canon 24x36 DSLR's. It just
wasn't/isn't Pentax medium format that's feeling the pressure, it's
medium format in general.

Tom C.