Photographers that want to shoot MFD are going to use MFD, not FF
35mm.  It doesn't matter that the D800 has a similar number of pixels.

The DoF is different, handling is different, sensor performance is different.

Having held and looked through a D700 (close enough to a D800) and a
645D, they are nothing alike.  You'd never want to pick one over the
other without actually using them.  Deciding only based on specs is
foolhardy.

--
David Parsons Photography
http://www.davidparsonsphoto.com