I've deleted an earlier reply to this about the cliques making
self-justifyingly specious claims such as "what's good for X Corp is good
for the country", but here is a very interesting analysis which seems to
bear this out quite well:
<http://www2.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html>

" The argument for using the wealth distribution as a power indicator is
strengthened by studies showing that such distributions vary historically
and from country to country, depending upon the relative strength of rival
political parties and trade unions, with the United States having the most
highly concentrated wealth distribution of any Western democracy except
Switzerland. For example, in a study based on 18 Western democracies, strong
trade unions and successful social democratic parties correlated with
greater equality in the income distribution and a higher level of welfare
spending (Stephens, 1979). "

" Although overall income had grown by 27% since 1979, 33% of the gains went
to the top 1%. Meanwhile, the bottom 60% were making less: about 95 cents
for each dollar they made in 1979. The next 20% - those between the 60th and
80th rungs of the income ladder -- made $1.02 for each dollar they earned in
1979. Furthermore, Johnston concludes that only the top 5% made significant
gains ($1.53 for each 1979 dollar). "

" Next we study how that power operates, which is what most articles on this
site are about. Furthermore, if the top 20% have 84% of the wealth (and
recall that 10% have 85% to 90% of the stocks, bonds, trust funds, and
business equity), that means that the United States is a power pyramid. It's
tough for the bottom 80% -- maybe even the bottom 90% -- to get organized
and exercise much power. "