One should be their own severest critic prior to displaying the work to others.

MARK!

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom C." <caka...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: OT - Learning how to choose your best work

I agree with Mark on that. It's asking complete strangers, whose
qualifications to render an experienced judgement call regarding
photographic quality are unknown and likely lacking.

The most one can expect is a subjective judgement. I like it or I
don't, which is far different than 'is it a masterful piece of
photographic art?', or 'is it marketable piece of photography?', or
'OK, since you like it, put your money where your mouth is - price is
$500'.

Even from a commercial standpoint there's a big difference between
saying one likes an image, and actually pulling one's wallet out and
purchasing a print.

One should be their own severest critic prior to displaying the work to others.

Tom C.

Tom C

From: Mark Roberts <postmas...@robertstech.com>

Bruce Walker wrote:

Moose Peterson discusses how to edit; ie: learning how to choose just
your best work.

I like his suggestion of getting work on a restaurant wall and then
observing people's reactions to it. Could be a cringe-worthy exercise!

I think it would be an almost worthless exercise, myself. What
everyone, including Moose Peterson, seems to be missing is the fact
that you have to choose your best work *before* you put on this
"restaurant wall exhibit". How much space is available on the walls?
How many photographs do you shoot in a year? Most of the selection
process takes place before the photos go up.

Moose Peterson has been shooting so long that his initial selection
process is almost instinctive now. That's why he didn't notice he was
doing it at all in his restaurant wall thought experiment. What he
really wants to do is what Tim Bray identified as the real trick for
someone who makes a living from this stuff: figure out what the public
is going to go for (and buy).

So I'd say the Moose Peterson experiment is worthless from an artistic
standpoint but useful from a commercial standpoint. It just depends on
what your goal is.

--
Mark Roberts - Photography & Multimedia