From: Mark Roberts <postmas...@robertstech.com>
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 6:47 AM
Subject: Re: OT - Learning how to choose your best work

Bruce Walker wrote:

>Moose Peterson discusses how to edit; ie: learning how to choose just
>your best work.
>
>I like his suggestion of getting work on a restaurant wall and then
>observing people's reactions to it. Could be a cringe-worthy exercise!

I think it would be an almost worthless exercise, myself. What
everyone, including Moose Peterson, seems to be missing is the fact
that you have to choose your best work *before* you put on this
"restaurant wall exhibit". How much space is available on the walls?
How many photographs do you shoot in a year? Most of the selection
process takes place before the photos go up.

Moose Peterson has been shooting so long that his initial selection
process is almost instinctive now. That's why he didn't notice he was
doing it at all in his restaurant wall thought experiment. What he
really wants to do is what Tim Bray identified as the real trick for
someone who makes a living from this stuff: figure out what the public
is going to go for (and buy).

So I'd say the Moose Peterson experiment is worthless from an artistic
standpoint but useful from a commercial standpoint. It just depends on
what your goal is.

--
Mark Roberts - Photography & Multimedia
http://www.robertstech.com/