I think the cords are incidental from the *ist-Ds to the K--5xxx.

Sorry I can't help you on the compatibility issue between Remote assistant and the OS but I can't help but expect that there will be problems. Pentax pretty much dropped support for Remote Assistant after the K-20D was discontinued. There is no provision to display live view over the USB tether, I thought that was BS that Pentax wouldn't match the features that other manufactures included, but I guess their philosophy is that they build field cameras not studio cameras. Why supply functionality that few will use that will just add to the cost of the product.

I don't think PK_tether will harm you camera, I'd worry that some of the commands won't work correctly.

I've been using PDCU4 for several years now and I don't think that Remote Assistant properly integrates with any version after 3.X. I''m also pretty sure that Remote Assistant 3.x doesn't officially support the K-7 or the K-5 cameras. It may work with them much as Camera Assistant 1.0 seemed to operated the entire *ist-D[x] family even thought it only officially supported the *ist-D.