On Jan 16, 2013, at 11:48 AM, Bruce Walker wrote:

> Very wise words from Greg Heisler. One of the first sponsored videos
> I've watched where the subject declares that anyone can buy the gear.
> Your inspiration and vision should come from between your own ears.
>
> "What I'm trying to do is get enough stillness in the lake so I can
> see my reflection."
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCirEKQ5KgU

He skirted around some interesting points, but to me just came off as a
pretentious twit.

He is correct that you shouldn't be spending your time and energy on a shoot
obsessing about technique. The reason for that is that you should have your
theory and technique down so bloody cold that 90% of the time you don't have to
think about it, you think about what you want the picture to be, and you just
know how to do it.  The other 10% of the time you should be out there trying
new things and pushing boundaries so that you have to think about what you are
doing, and your technical skill is growing in the process.

At the moment, I'm afraid I have it inverted.  90% of the time, when I think
about what I want to do, I'm pushing my technical knowledge and have to think
about how to actually do it.