From: Darren Addy <pixelsmi...@gmail.com>
Sent: January 17, 2013 1/17/13
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Re: OT - on gear, technique and inspiration

Yes, I tended to agree with Larry. He was very good as speaking in
metaphor (I tend to think that same way, so I appreciated that).

But I guess specifically, what I disliked about his attitude was that
he came across as presenting himself as font of creativity and he
can't contaminate that by looking at what others have done. Well, I
hate to break it to you, but that's how you learn. In fact, if he was
honest, that's how HE learned.

That's why cooking shows are so popular, for example. You see the
ingredients (and equipment) that they use and you get inspired to try
it yourself. Now an experienced cook is going to be able to get as
good (or better) results even if they don't use exactly the same
ingredients or equipment because they know what they are doing. A true
kitchen artist can just be thrown into a room with a set number of
ingredients and create something great. But they are fooling
themselves if they think they got to that point without "standing on
the shoulders" of other who came before them, learning their ways and
copying their recipes.

I think it is similar with learning anything, like portraiture. You
have to learn some basics with regards to flattering lighting for
different facial types, etc. You have to learn how/why setting
shoulders and slight head tilts towards either the lower or higher
shoulder makes one look masculine or rather feminine. You didn't
invent that. You didn't discover that. It just IS. But when you are
starting out you need to learn to see that.

In time, I think we tend to start taking what we have learned and
thinking that we always knew it (or worse, that we originated it) when
we did no such thing. This guy is just "further down the tunnel" than
most and so now he wants to establish that fact with his audience and
belittle the approach of learning from tear sheets? Please.

His basic point regarding how your success or creativity is not
completely dependent upon a particular piece of equipment? Yeah, I
think most of us already know that. But that doesn't mean that we
don't still accumulate equipment for whatever reason - if only out of
curiousity/experience with something we haven't worked with before.