I have never regretted buying my converted K10D. I have seen the dreaded K-10 banding problem in the IR shots once or twice, but as with the regular K10D it has not proven to be a problem and only arises when I try to really push the exposure. I did not know that they calibrated the AF system to a specific lens. I have used mostly the 16-45 f4 and 18-55. IMO, the 18-15 is better in this case. The 16-45 gets a bright spot in the center - more than a spot, an area in the center of the frame. Look at Emmanuel Episcopal Church in this series for an example -

http://www.markcassino.com/b2evolution/index.php/more-infrared-from-chestertown-maryland

After that trip I started using the 18-55 and did not see that problem again.

Have fun!

Mark