Yippie! The box from B&H was on my porch when I got home today - Inside was a Panda-Bear white K-01, DA-XS 40mm f 2.8, extra battery and SD card. I think this camera will be excellent for snow crsytal shots - I just put in my snow crystal setup and did some test shows. It is sleeting now and too warm for snow, but as I hoped the focus peaking made it very easy to focus despite the extreme macro and shallow DOF. As with the Q I could not get the flash to stay in manual mode. Fortunately in the last few days I cobbled together a PC cord setup that by passes the TTL functions altogether, so I can use the flash in manual no problem.

Pentax has done a good job of sticking to a standard control layout, and even though the K-01 is a little different with only one control wheel, everything falls into to place very intuitively. I did have to look up how to activate focus peaking. I think that the focus peaking and ability to zoom into the frame for focusing - far more than the Pentax Q - will make this a great tool for snow crystals and other extreme macro photography.

The 40mm lens is small. Haven't tested it out yet. I did put in my Mz-S and shot out a short roll of Tri-X - the vignetting looked fabulous through the finder. Discovered that the built in flash on my Mz-S is dead. Crap - these film cameras keep fading away....

For my specific intended purpose I thing that the K-01 will be great. It was 60F when I left for work this morning, 35F when I drove home, and high tomorrow is predicted to be 18F. (That would be 15, 2, and -8 C) Lots of snow coming so I hope to give this setup a good workout.

As far as general purpose shooting goes... I have to say I look at the K-01 and think "WTF?" I was skeptical about the Q but the moment I picked it up it up I thought "Wow!" The K-01... Well....

Mark