Hi, Len,

Interesting.

When I borrowed Wendy's MX, I didn't expect to find the 40mm pancake on it.
Having read opinions on this list similar to yours, Len, I really didn't expect
much from it in terms of sharpness.

Maybe it was my low expectation that caused me to be pleasantly surprised when I
got back my first roll, and found the prints to be quite sharp.

But maybe I have low standards...  ;-)

In any event, I still want one.  Not as a collectable, obviously, but as a
user.  And, I have to admit, part of the allure for me is its size.  I think it
would be wasted on any camera but the MX or one of the other M series bodies
(size-wise), as they're so physically compatible.

Thanks to all who replied regarding whether the price of the one that I'm
looking at is reasonable - as I suspected, it seems to be.

regards,
frank

"Paris, Leonard" wrote:

> Do you think they are really buying the pancake because it is a collectable?
> It isn't, to my knowledge, a rarity. I think they were produced in pretty
> great quantity.  I think the lens has gained an undeserved reputation of
> being an extremely sharp lens, because of all of the BS written about it in
> ebay item descriptions.  The sheer numbers of them that pass through ebay
> should make folks wonder exactly how good they could actually be.  If it was
> a really great lens, and a collectable, there wouldn't be so many of them
> available.

> --

"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist
fears it is true." -J. Robert
Oppenheimer