Monday, I received a new MC Jupiter-9 2/85mm lens from Pavel Gubanov.
Many of you know him as "ustas" on ebay.  He quit listing this lens for
awhile on ebay and I emailed him to see if he had any more.  He sent me
a new one for $45, including shipping.  From what I could tell from the
Russian manual, it was manufactured in 2001.

I ran a test roll through it today and I am pleasantly surprised.  How
good can a $45 lens be anyway?  I am probably more surprised that my
wife sat still long enough without any makeup on for me to see how it
works as a portrait lens.

I shot five head-and-shoulder shots of my wife @ f:2-f:8.  My wife and
my two daughters picked the f:2 shot as the most flattering.  It's
noticably sharper at f:4.  I shot a series of brick wall shots and
there doesn't appear to be any light falloff at f:2.8.  Again it
sharpens nicely at f:4.  A third series to check the bokeh impressed me
as well...very nice and smooth.  If my count is right, it has 16 blades
and the roundest aperature I have ever seen.

On the negative side, it uses stop down metering and is a preset lens.
The focusing is certainly not as smooth as we have come to expect from
our Takumars.  It is going to take a little practice to get used to it,
but it may just be worth the trouble.  Judging from the results, this
could be the best $45 I've spent in a long time.

--
Kenneth Archer, San Antonio, Texas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]