On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Bob Sullivan <rf.sulli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dave,
> How about giving us some more personal insights on 'diffraction issues
> with most lenses.'
> I'd like to know so I could get out in front of that issue.
> Regards,  Bob S.
>
> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 12:43 AM, David Savage <ozsav...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> And loving it!
>>
>> ...except for the diffraction issues with most lenses...

Suggested reading:
http://www.bythom.com/nikond800review.htm
Particularly the section entitled: "Resolution, Diffraction, and To E
or Not to E"

His summary: "There, I said it: the D800 and D800E are demanding
cameras. If you're buying them for image quality (and I'm not sure why
you'd be buying them otherwise), the possible output can be
spectacular, but getting there takes work. I suspect the Big Croppers
will poo-poo that. They'll think that they can just treat the D800
like a point and shoot and then crop to get the picture they want.
They'll be disappointed, as diffraction and sloppy camera handling can
make those 12mp crops look worse than if you had just used a 12mp
camera with the right lens in the first place. As I noted earlier, if
you're an aggressive cropper, the D7000 is a perfectly fine choice for
you, as it's basically the same thing at 1.5x crop, much less
expensive and thus you're more likely to be able to afford the right
lens in the first place."

Buying a D800/E is a bit like buying an exotic import automobile that
requires you spend more money to add on to the garage and then pay a
fortune for parts, accessories, and premium fuel. You virtually have
to upgrade your computer/storage in order to handle the increase file
sizes. You'll virtually have to spend several times what the body
costs you for fast lenses that can take advantage of the resolution
and perform well corner-to-corner. You'll also need to spend more to
get the equivalent reach that you enjoyed on your APS-C. That 500mm
lens is only giving you a 500mm FOV, not the 750mm equiv. FOV you
enjoyed on you APS-C. (Same problem on the macro end of the spectrum
with far shallower DOF to "pay" also). Realistically, you probably
need to commit to spending nearly 10K to get a decent compliment of
lenses for the D800 and the computer upgrade you will have to have, as
well.

I can see why there has been such debate, even within Pentax
headquarters. The current APS-C cameras are (as I believe Mark Roberts
said, quite some time ago) inhabiting a sweet spot for the majority of
photographers today. That doesn't mean that the market doesn't think
they need "full frame" and will kick and scream until they get it.

  I like how Thom breaks down his D800 recommendations by the types of
photographers and where they are "coming from". I think that same
breakdown could be applied to Pentax owners. They say "the customer is
always right", but I don't think that is true. Some people buy before
they even understand the true price they will pay. They can spend
their money anyway they like, of course.