Basically I've notice that the "aperture" sweet spot is even more
critical at such a high MP count.

When I migrated to Nikon I bought their best lenses (the holy trinity
14-24, 24-70, 780-200, ptus their 50 f1.4 & 85 f1.4).

On the D700 I never really had any image quality issues with them.
Those same lenses on the D800 are noticeably softer away from their
respective "sweet spots". f5.6 - soft, f8 - shaper, f11 sweet, f16 -
softer...

Also the high resolution shows up flaws in your hand holding
technique. The old rule of thumb of shutter speed being the inverse of
the focal length doesn't really work any more. Double it to be sure,
or use a tripod.

The D800/D800E manual came with a series of instructions on how to
maintain sharpness & detail.

DS