On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Bob W <p...@web-options.com> wrote:
> Nikon always made hulking great cameras that only gorillas could carry. I
> couldn't carry a F3+winder for more than about 5 minutes. Pentax and Olympus
> stood apart from that by making cameras that were equally good, for smaller
> primates. They should do the same again.

Of course, the F3 + MD-4 winder was a setup that was designed for
professionals requiring up to 6fps performance and a solid grip to
hold onto, and battery power to sustain it. The F3 sans winder was
about the size/weight of a Pentax K10D. :-)

"Equally good" is a bit judgmental. Neither Pentax nor Olympus made a
professional grade camera comparable to the F2, F3, F4, F5 or F6.
These were serious photographic hammers designed to take a beating
under extreme conditions and deliver the goods — while Pentax and
Olympus lenses were excellent, none of their bodies (or lenses ... lot
of stress on an auto-diaphragm lens to keep up at 4-6 fps) were made
with that service level in mind.

The smaller pro Nikons, like the FM/FM2/FM2n/FE/FE2/F3a series, were
build nearly as tough as the pro-grade Fs but are a lot closer to
Pentax and Olympus size and weight.

Yes, Nikon SLRs were my main cameras, alongside Leica Ms, from 1969 to
2001. I also owned Olympus OM, Minolta XD, and Contax SLRs along the
way, but always went back to Nikon. They just worked, and worked, and
worked like no others.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com