On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Aahz Maruch <a...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2013, Stan Halpin wrote:

>>> The thought occurs to me that anytime someone posts photos, it would be
>>> handy to post the original alongside (particularly for cropping
>>> comparison, but also any other changes).
>>
>> Yes, but what is an "original"? If we shot a jpeg, it will be modified
>> at least through down-sizing for web-viewing. If we shot PEF, does
>> conversion to DNG make it not original? If DNG or DNG conversion, many
>> of us have some pre-set tweeks in exposure or sharpening or color
>> balance even before we start working on the resulting "original" to
>> get to the final edited image.
>
> What I'd say is that manual edits are what make it "not original".
> Conversions and automatic profile changes don't count.  I just figured
> that if teaching/learning is supposed to be part of the point of posting
> photos (which it seems to be if people are asking for critiques), then
> having the original is handy to see what changes have already been made.

If you were to ask someone for an opinion on some pie you baked, would
you then also spread some fruit, yeast, sugar and flour on the table
and say, "here's the original unprocessed pie for comparison"?

I agree with Dag. As a rule I only show my best work, not early tests,
intermediate unprocessed results, or alternate takes. Sometimes I'll
show a behind-the-scenes, but only if it's a pretty good shot on its
own. If I ask for feedback its on the completely finished image.

One problem with posting incomplete stuff is you never know where it's
going to end up. Let's face it: you cannot un-publish on the
Intertubes. I've had a number of models take thumbnails that I sent
them (for selecting which I should post-process) and then post them,
as-is, on Facebook. I don't want my name associated with any work that
isn't my best effort.

Now if I was discussing a particular post-processing technique, then
I'd oblige and show before and after, most likely joined into a single
image so no mistakes.

--
-bmw