> From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of DagT

> would
> >>
> >> Yes, but what is an "original"? If we shot a jpeg, it will be
[...]

> I see your point. If I wanted to teach, I might use it as an example,
> but on the other hand I think the result is important, not how I got
> there.

one of the things that we have lost, and it is a loss, with digital
photography is the contact sheet. Professional photographers were almost
always happy to share their contacts with others. They were a way of getting
to know the thought processes that went into the end result. They were like
preliminary sketches for a painting, and are just as useful.

Of course, some photographers and some painters - Michelangelo is a good
example - didn't want people to see their contacts and sketches, they would
rather people thought their finished article was something miraculous that
sprang forth from their native genius fully formed.

> There are many ways to see and make a picture. Once I felt how the
> contrast should be, there were a lot of different ways to get there.
> Just like, when I was there in the forest the forest itself was not
> important. It was what I wanted to show. Others would make something
> else, maybe better, but it wouldn´t fit with what I saw.
>
> I have taught some photography. Teaching rules seldom get far. Seeing
> other pictures and wondering why I like or dislike them is a lot
> better.

People frequently misunderstand the word 'rule' in respect to composition,
grammar, and so on. A rule in this sense is just a statistical observation,
in the same way as, for example, the 'law' of gravity. The rule of thirds is
just an observation that people tend to prefer pictures composed this way.
If you apply some discipline to figuring out what you like and why, you will
discover some rules that work for you, and the chances are that they will
work for others too.