On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 10:39:28AM +0200, Alan Cole wrote:
> Zos, I was elated to see your image and then along came Bob to ruin my day.
>
> I still routinely use an FA 28-80 and an FA 100-300 (relics from a
> Z70) on my K110D & find them quite adequate.
> As you say - they are basically free.
>
> Alan

When I bought my PZ-1p in the mid-90s and joined the auto-focus age I
accquired a two-lens kit consisting of the power zoom 28-105 & 100-300.

Although I got several good shots with it, I was never really happy
with the 100-300, and I eventually ended up getting rid of it. This
was at least partially because I'd been seduced by the lure of good
glass by getting my hands on an A* 200/2.8, so when a chance came
along to buy a used FA* 80-200 I succumbed to temptation. Little did
I know hom much more I'd be giving to the lens dealers over the next
decades ...  The 80-200 is a whole lot heavier than the 100-300, but
even with a 1.4x TC (not Pentax; I wanted to keep autofocus, &c.) it
out-performed the 100-300 (not surprising, considering the price...)

After I got a second auto-focus body I did consider getting myself a
FA* 28-70 - I even borrowed one from a friend for one race weekend.
But while that is undoubtedly a nice lens, I didn't find that it was
enough to tempt me to buy one - that FA 28-105 satisifed my needs.

Of the three versions of the Pentax 28-105, the newest (the f/3.2-4.5)
is generally considered to be slightly better than the old f/4.5-f5.6,
with the middle (non-PZ f/4.5-5.6) being the weakest of the bunch.