From: Steve Cottrell <co...@seeingeye.tv>
Sent: February 7, 2013 2/7/13
To: pentax list <PDML@pdml.net>
Subject: Why would you buy a Pentax FF camera?

I mean, aside from the obvious reasons like, bigger sensor, better image
quality, better use with lenses designed to work with a 36X24mm frame,
better lighting, better heating, better sewer systems, the roads (yes we
can't forget the roads)....

Back in 2000, this camera came onto the scene:

<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canond30>

and at the time, I was toting both the LX and the MX along with various
lenses and stuff. It was the first really 'affordable' DSLR and had I
not prevaricated for many months, I would have had one there and then.
Instead I waited to see what might be coming from Pentax - and so I
waited and waited. And nothing came.

And so in 2002, this came out:

<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneosd60>

and I could wait no longer. I jumped.

It was made of creaky plastic and it felt not a patch on the quality
metal construction of the MX and LX, but shooting with it was amazing.
No film! It was about £2000 GBP at the time and the premium paid over
and above a comparative film camera would have kept me in FP4 for years.
But it was digital and it was instant - I had a grin that lasted weeks.

I had the D60 for a while, but longed for better build quality and
features - exactly what I found in the 1D mark II (aps-h...1.3X crop).
That was a camera that fully met (and exceeded) all expectations. If I'd
stayed in the game of carrying a big system about with me, i would have
without doubt moved onto a 1Ds (full frame).

As it is, I sold up when times were hard, and in fact didn't really miss
it all.

My son has a 1DmIIn and some lenses, and good luck to him. Nice to play
with for a while, and I still mount a Pentax lens on it now and again if
I need to do some portraits, but I'm happier with my lil Fuji.

So what if Pentax brings out a FF camera - would I jump? i might...but why??

Well, the answer will probably surprise you and some will ridicule. It
has to do with a certain lens...

I still have my A*85/1.4 and I long for the time I can mount it to a
proper 36X24 Pentax body - simple as that. I'd be more than happy with
just that lens attached the whole time - and just for portraits. Daft innit!

But there you go - that's the way it is. So much for the photographic
tools theory. I keep a lens that waits for the right body to come along.
Who'da thought it.

--

Cheers,
  Cotty