My response is interspersed below.

Thu Feb 7 06:28:17 EST 2013
Steve Cottrell wrote:

> I mean, aside from the obvious reasons like, bigger sensor, better
> image
> quality, better use with lenses designed to work with a 36X24mm frame,
> better lighting, better heating, better sewer systems, the roads (yes
> we
> can't forget the roads)....

A considerable portion of my photography in the past 5-7 years
had to do with the situations of low light (often combined with the fast
motion): dance photography [and most recently, - photography of a small
child].
For that reason, one of the technical parameters that I've been
interested in has been the high-ISO performance.  About 3 years ago,
I somewhat seriously entertained an option of buying Nikon D700.
It was a very reasonable tool for the "job". (Especially, compared to
the K-7 that I was using at that time.)

However, a considerable portion of the photographs that I take are done
while I am traveling. Since 1998 and until recently, I've been fitting
all my shooting travel kit (except for the Gary Fong lightsphere) in
a LowePro Nova 3 bag (two of them over this time span).
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/279078-REG/Lowepro_2037320_Nova_3_AW_Shoulder.html
(Unfortunately, this bag is no longer available.)

Typically, this kit included a Pentax camera body
the largest compact flash (Pentax AF 500 ftz, and then Metz 58 AF) and
3-4 lenses, depending on the trip.
Most recently, those have been:
FA 50/1.4, DA* 50-135/2.8, and then either Pentax 18-250
(if the travel doesn't involve dance photography) or
Pentax 17-70 with either FA 77/1.8 or Sigma 28/1.8.
You'd be surprised, I can fit all that in this relatively small bag.

(When I travel by car I can take a large Tamrac System 12 which makes
it more convenient to work as well as fitting more lenses)

D700 is so much larger than K-7 that I decided
that it wouldn't be convenient to take it with me on the trips
(I wouldn't fit my camera and the minimum set that I need in that same
bag, ...).
And that even in case I would be willing to spend that much.

So, in the past year or so, I've been waiting for the new Pentax camera
to come out, and I was not sure if I wanted it to be an APS or a FF.
On one hand, a FF would potentially provide a higher quality high-ISO
capability. On another hand, even if I expect (almost subconsciously)
Pentax to have a smaller FF body (compared to Nikon or Canon), it would
still likely to be larger than K-5*.

If a FF came out instead of K5-II*, it would've been sort of a "need".
But if FF comes out on the market soon, in order for me to consider it,
it would have to offer a vast improvement over the K5-IIs.

> I still have my A*85/1.4 and I long for the time I can mount it to a
> proper 36X24 Pentax body - simple as that. I'd be more than happy with
> just that lens attached the whole time - and just for portraits. Daft
> innit!
>
> But there you go - that's the way it is. So much for the photographic
> tools theory. I keep a lens that waits for the right body to come
> along.
> Who'da thought it.

I know the right body for that lens! ;-)
Will you write my name next to that lens in your will?
;-)

Igor