on 2013-02-16 9:06 Paul Sorenson wrote
Atlex has a bunch of Epson printers and scanners on sale and I'm considering
the V-500. Anyone have any experience with this?

i have a 4990 which i understand is fairly similar internally; i have scanned several hunded slides with the carrier with decent results, but i don't expect wonders; i've also done basic reference scans of a few hundred of my dad's prints and contact sheets, and lots of utility scans (where quality is not paramount); it has lasted well with these widely spaced episodes of heavy scanning; i'm rather amazed at how well it has kept dust out of the interior despite only dusting and wiping it occasionally; i use Vuescan with it on OS X and i recommend Vuescan highly (i bought a perpetual license at the 1999 price …)