I'm not a Mac user. Thunderbolt, whatever it is, doesn't apply to me.

I don't know if the wide gamut problem applies or not, since I mainly work in sRGB because the printer I'm sending it to is an sRGB printer (printer == lab that makes prints for me).

What I want is to be sure what I see on the screen is going to be what I see on the print without having to do a lot of reprints for corrections.

Some of the reviews seemed to say that brightness & contrast that are not uniform over the surface of the monitor & I'm wondering how that's going to affect my ability to see how my prints are going turn out.

From: Christine Nielsen
I have the Dell 3011... which, when I had to replace my mac, became a
very expensive paperweight.  It's a long story, but the short version
is that the new thunderbolt machines don't place nice with
non-thunderbolt displays.  Not sure if that would be a consideration
for you (I think I recall that it is not), but, just sayin'...

The only other issue I would caution you about with the U3011 is one
that  my own ignorance prevents me from fully explaining (and
resolving).. something about the wide gamut monitor showing funky
color shifts in browsers... but, as I recall, this was also a problem
for macs... http://www.gballard.net/photoshop/srgb_wide_gamut.html
described the problem.

Other than that, I really like the monitor - it's a nice size, and my
husband is enjoying now on his desk. (he had been using an HDTV which
got moved to the basement.)  I miss the matte finish...