On Feb 18, 2013, at 7:43 AM, Aahz Maruch wrote:

> I'm going to hijack your post in a slightly different direction.  My
> sibling has been rather adamant about not posting photos of zir child in
> public places.  What do other people think about that attitude?

I think that parents should have the right to say whether pictures of their
kids can be posted. However, your sibling is looking for a solution to a
problem that does not exist.  Your sibling might as well worry about the kid
being hit by a meteor. I am willing to bet that more children, as of this week,
have been injured by meteors this year than have been abducted by strangers
shopping around from pictures during the entire history of the internet.  I
don't actually know of any cases of someone finding a picture of a child on the
web, tracking down the child and abducting them.

There have been a few instances of people meeting children online and tricking
them into doing something that brings them to harm, but I suspect that this
number is fewer than the number of people arrested by police posing as children
online looking for child predators.

In short, my thoughts are that your sibling is foolish for worrying about this
and should be worrying instead about how their children are growing up so
overprotected that they never learn how to take care of themselves.