On Feb 19, 2013, at 8:50 AM, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> From: Larry Colen
>> On Feb 18, 2013, at 7:43 AM, Aahz Maruch wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm going to hijack your post in a slightly different direction.
>>> My sibling has been rather adamant about not posting photos of zir
>>> child in public places.  What do other people think about that
>>> attitude?
>>
>> I think that parents should have the right to say whether pictures of
>> their kids can be posted.
>

> That sounds an awful lot like giving "parents" an absolute veto over what you
> can photograph. It's not very far from there to "You can't take photographs
> here because there are children present."
>
> --
I've encountered this when taking pictures of Grace at the playground. She
often befriends someone, and they then play together. Sometimes I take pictures
and frequently offer to send some free shots to the parent of the other child.
Most are pleased. Occasionally, I've been ordered to stop taking pictures.
Sometimes I oblige, particularly if I've already gotten some good ones. Other
times I've refused, and on a very few occasions, angry parents have grabbed
their child and left the playground. Those incidents have led me to want to
accommodate their wishes, so now I generally honor those requests. But I
explain that I don't have to stop taking pictures in a public park, and that
would be true even if the subject weren't my own grandchild. Asked why they
don't want photos, most parents simply don't know. I suspect that for many it's
merely a matter of being in control.

Paul