On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 8:37 AM, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:
e sure

> Did you have the grip attached when you first turned it on & then remove the
> grip to mount it on the tripod? That's the only way I can think of that it
> would think the grip is attached when it isn't. If you turned it on with the
> grip attached & then removed the grip it might glitch & still be looking for
> that battery ... or not.,

No, the grip hasn't been attached for weeks.  I usually leave the
tripod mounting plate attached to the camera though.

> I couldn't make the K20D do it, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.
>
> (Extrapolating from the K20D + grip) I believe that when "Select Battery" is
> set to "auto", it uses whichever battery it thinks has the most charge when
> it's first turned on.

That's what I figured, too...

> When it's set to "grip first" or "body first", it will use that battery
> until it's almost depleted, then you have to manually switch to the other
> battery by turning the camera off & back on.
>
> Looking at the K20D "Select Battery" menu, icons for both batteries are
> shown even when the grip is not attached.

OK, good to know... When I saw both icons shown, even without grip, I
thought that was odd... but maybe that's how it is.  Either way, it
seemed as if the camera was trying to access the other battery...
which wasn't there.  I'll have to play with it some more today & see
if I can replicate the problem...

Thanks,
-c