I don't think there is anything really wrong with the k-5's design. I
mean the biggest two issues were the mirror flop and the sensor stain
issues. If anything, the problem was more with quality control than
anything else. Shame about the lens release too. Adhesives fail. Sh*t
happens. The D600 and D800 both had their share of issues as well. As
production goes on, these problems are all slowly fixed. I bought my
k-5 at the tail end of its production cycle. Actually production had
already ceased. I don't have any problems with it whatsoever. I have
some low light focusing issues with certain types of lighting, but big
whoop. AF has always been a weaker area of pentax in comparison the
canikon and honestly, I think the k-5 was a big improvement over the
k-7 and the k-5 ii solved most of the low light issues for most people
from what I read. Actually the k-7 was the proving ground for that
body design and I would imagine that many of the components asides
from the logic board and AF/meter sensors were reused from the k-7.
The mirror, shutter, pentaprism, LCD, everything else was probably
just recycled...if it ain't broke........

Oh I forgot about p-ttl being wonky with bounce. I typically use an
autothyristor flash anyways, so p-ttl isn't even a consideration. I
can adjust the flash output in EV steps. You can do the same with
p-ttl too....I don't get what the big deal is really. From what I hear
it is a consistent value that it is off. The built in flash has always
worked ok for me when I am forced to use it. Kind of glad its there
actually. Ok so the k-5 had some problems....a lemon? Not really. No
camera or system is perfect. My pentax cameras have all been very
reliable. I'm sure the gearing on my zx-7 will fail eventually, but
who cares when you pay $15 for a body? I have a k1000 and spotmatic
needing some TLC from Eric. Once those eventually get sent off I will
be good on 35mm film bodies for as long as film sticks around.