Hi Dan,

as lovely as she is, and as well informed about art as she is, I must point out
that the young girl in question is not my daughter, but the daughter
of some friends.

Cartoon I once saw: 2 art critics talking, one of them saying "I know a lot
about Art, but I don't know what I like"

Don't forget that when Impressionism was new people said the same
thing about it that you're saying about the rest of the content of
Tate Modern (and presumably the other major modern art museums around
the world). You may not like it, but that by itself doesn't mean it's
not art. Indeed, it's quite possible to have a work of art that nobody
on the planet, living or dead likes, but that wouldn't necessarily
disqualify it from being art. The Impressionists almost achieved this,
remember, and now they're all over biscuit tins and jigsaws in tourist
shops full of teddy bears dressed as policemen and Beefeaters. How long
before we see Tracy Emin's work on chocolate boxes? Modern art since
the rise of photography, and possibly since before then, has been about
breaking definitions of what is or isn't art, so it's almost bound to
be unpopular, at least to begin with. Even stuff that looks like poo
can still be art.

Incidentally, there's some excellent photography in Tate Modern.

---

 Bob

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]