On Sat, Feb 23, 2013, knarftheria...@gmail.com wrote:

> I like that there are three controls: Focus, aperture, shutter speed.
>
> Full automation is great but after a while it becomes tedious. Chimp,
> see what the camera is doing, decide if I need exposure comp, make
> sure the camera is focusing on the subject, decide if I have to choose
> a focus point, refocus, check the shutter speed and aperture in the
> viewfinder, adjust accordingly if necessary, etc., etc., etc.
>
> And that's what I mean by oppressive. One is constantly involved with
> the ~camera~ and less on the photograph.

Interesting.  I wonder what you're doing differently from me -- that's
not how I perceive my interactions with my camera.

For starters, I learned how to use a manual camera 35 years ago, and my
routine was something like, set the exposure, focus the split prism,
recompose, shoot.  I do almost exactly the same thing with a digital
camera (I always set AE/AF to center spot -- except now I don't need to
hunt for a convenient line to focus on).

That goes double with a P&S, with a DSLR I feel like I'm always paying
attention to my lenses.  Unless I'm really paying attention to getting
the exposure exactly right, I just compose and shoot.

One niggle: I actually find that auto-focus is less reliable with the
K-5/K-x, I suspect that's partly due to the smaller depth of field (IOW,
with a P&S the larger DOF covers a number of focusing sins).

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013, Mark C wrote:

> Nice collection of shots, Paul. This one is my favorite. There's
> something fun about going out with a film camera, taking 24 or 36
> exposures, and not knowing for sure what you have till they get
> developed...

That's exactly what I hated most about film; combined with the cost, I
dropped out until digital cameras got good enough.  There's something
tremendously freeing about just not worrying about the incremental cost
of each shot (or whether you're going to run out of film at a critical
moment).
--
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                        http://rule6.info/