Hey, I love digital. If I didn't I wouldn't use it.

But I find film (on a mechanical camera) to be refreshing for the reasons you
stated, Paul.

I like that there are three controls: Focus, aperture, shutter speed.

Full automation is great but after a while it becomes tedious. Chimp, see what
the camera is doing, decide if I need exposure comp, make sure the camera is
focusing on the subject, decide if I have to choose a focus point, refocus,
check the shutter speed and aperture in the viewfinder, adjust accordingly if
necessary, etc., etc., etc.

And that's what I mean by oppressive. One is constantly involved with the
~camera~ and less on the photograph.

Because of the simplicity of controls of a mechanical camera all the auto
functions are in my head, internalised and just as automatic as when they are
in camera.

I do my own exposure comp by flicking aperture ring or shutter speed dial. I
focus on the subject every time. I can concentrate on ~taking a picture~ rather
than paying some attention to what the camera is doing.

That is why sometimes digital is oppressive.

Film clears my mind. When I pick up my dslr after a day shooting film I am
invigorated and ready to have fun again.

But I love digital. Will never go back to film any more than a few times a
year, just for fun. And to help me appreciate what digital can do.

Cheers,
frank