On Mar 2, 2013, at 7:38 PM, Larry Colen wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2013, at 10:30 AM, steve harley wrote:
>
>> on 2013-03-01 19:02 Stan Halpin wrote
>>> OK, so in one email you triggered 4 of the 7 deadly sins; a new record?
>>> [lust, greed, envy, & wrath]
>>
>> i went back after some careful thought and got the flash too, picked up and
>> put back down quite a few wonderful lenses
>
> I don't know whether it is a good thing, or a bad thing, that I didn't know
> about this until it was too late for me to do anything.
>
> There are several lenses that are high on my wish list, that now that I'm
> employed I could even pretend that I can afford, especially at an event like
> this.  Specifically the DA35 macro, which would be nearly a perfect lens for
> photo walks in the woods with my K-5.  Alternatively, if I wait until Cotty
> makes hat soup, my DFA50 macro would fulfill the same niche, albeit with
> slightly less depth of field.
>
> How is that for rationalization? If I buy a full frame camera, I can save a
> bunch of money on lenses.

Larry, FWIW, on my recent trip/cruise I carried mostly prime lenses. Of the
roughly 3800 shots with a K-5II, about 1800 of them were with the DA35/2.8
macro. (About 700 @ 77mm, 450 @ 21mm, 350 @ 55/1.4, 250 @ PK-A 200/4, the
remainder @ 40/2.8, 15/4 or 12-24/4.)
I was pleasantly surprised by the (new to me) 35mm and agree with you that it
would make a great walk-in-the-woods lens. Of course YMMV depending on
location, subject, etc. I had expected that the 21mm, 55mm, and 77mm in that
order would get the most use, and had the 35mm along mostly for its macro
capability. But it quickly became my default lens. Get yourself one now; you
can always sell it later if need be to buy a full frame body . . .

stan