From: PDML [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Bill
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2013 8:31 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Anybody still shoot with an LX ?

On 07/03/2013 9:14 AM, Darren Addy wrote:
> I tripped across a cosmetically gorgeous LX body (FA finder) yesterday
> and it seemed to be priced right, so I impulsively purchased it (long
> distance). *After* doing so, I started doing a little research on it.
> : )
> It appears that I may have taken a bit of a gamble, since it looks
> like a lot can go wrong with these things and a full CLA from Eric
> (pentaxs.com) is going to run $160-200 (!). It won't arrive until next
> Tuesday, so I have a lot of time to fret.
> : \
> I believe that I bought it reasonably enough that even if I did
> nothing to it I could turn around and sell it for at least what I gave
> for it, as it sits, so I don't think I have anything big to worry
> about.
>
> I'm hopeful that I can put in a mirror bumper pad and seals in the
> film back (myself) and be good to go, but that remains to be seen. I
> was hoping that those of you with an LX (or experience with them)
> might tell me what sort of issues you had with them (if any) and your
> impression of where the LX stands in the Pentax film body family.

Ah, the LX. A wonderful camera that may as well have been designed and built
by the Fiat car company.
So, what can go wrong with an LX?
Pretty much everything.
Other than the aforementioned rubber bumper that turns to goo, you can have
problems with ALL of the seals in the camera. The back door seals can turn
to jelly, as can the top mirror bumpers.
In addition to that, the aperture cam follower resistor is prone to
corrosion, as is the ISO resistor. (exemplified by really flaky exposures in
outomatic).
In addition, the TTL flash control is beyond useless in all but the most
controlled circumstances, useless to the point that although I owned three
of them, it was the K1000 that I used professionally at weddings.
I couldn't depend on the LX to fire the flash.
All three of mine went into the shop on a bi-yearly basis with something or
other wrong. The last time, I sent all three of them off in one box, hoping
against hope that they would get lost in the mail and I could replace them
with something else with the insurance money. Alas, it was not to be, and
eventually, they were all shipped back to me.
I love the LX, but I don't miss it.

bill

follow the directions.